Over the years I’ve collected some good Unicode resources I might as well share.
Navigators and Directories
- Facebook symbols, which organizes and lists symbols in categories for easy access to post on social media.
- Fileformat.info, which has a bit of an old fashioned design but includes a ton of useful information on the specifics of each characters.
- Unicode Lookup provides a handy search function to find particular characters.
- Unicode Search, another search tool.
- Unicode Table, which is similar to Unicodinator (see below), but provides a cool feature of showing a map of where on Earth different characters are used.
- Unicode Table For You gives you some useful sliders to move around Unicode tables.
- Unicodinator, a visual unicode navigator I created, allowing you to infinitely scroll through the entire multilingual plane (0 – DFFF). Very helpful if you are looking for a character and don’t know what precisely you are looking for.
- Unify, a growing list of characters along with information about what devices and browsers can display them.
Articles and Education
- Getting Started: Unicode is a good overview of how Unicode works.
- Love Hotels and Unicode is a cool article explaining some Unicode history
- Unicode Wikipedia article is of course a great introduction to the history and particulars of Unicode.
- CharFunk is a library I wrote that provides some of the functionality that Java’s Character class does.
- JS Codepoints extends String to allow you to count codepoints properly.
- XRegExp provides RegExp functionality that works correctly with Unicode.
Other tools and resources
- Alan Wood’s Unicode resources collects a bunch of useful links and information.
- Shapecatcher is a super useful tool that lets you draw a symbol and then shows you the characters that match.
- Unicode.org is the site of the Unicode Consortium and so is the final say for all things Unicode.
- Unifoundry provides a GNU Unicode font to allow display of every code point in the Unicode BMP.
Let me know if I missed any other useful resources!